WJMN-TV Local 3, is seeking a Chief Engineer to manage the day-to-day operations of the Engineering Department and is responsible for the maintenance of all broadcast technology, computer technology and physical buildings at our station in Marquette and our transmitter. sites. Prioritizes projects and checks that deadlines are met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages all aspects of the engineering department.
- Maintains all broadcast technology and equipment for station and transmitter sites.
- Ensures station compliance with rules and regulations applicable to FCC, local, state, and federal laws.
- Works with corporate management to implement new technologies and technical infrastructure for the station.
- Manages engineering and technology capital projects within established budgets.
- Manages and coordinates fiber connectivity, production setups, A/V routing and patching, audio equipment, graphics systems and editing systems.
- Working knowledge of television and digital studio broadcast and production systems, including: video server technology, digital, signal routing and switching, encoding technologies and techniques, automation systems and television and radio traffic systems and their interface, audio encoding, routing and storage, television editing systems, video and audio storage systems and integration of broadcast and production in a computer system.
- Evaluates, selects, installs, services and maintains station equipment and information technology systems.
- Maintains the station’s fleet of vehicles.
- Communicates and coordinates equipment maintenance and training with vendors/contractors.
- Prepares and maintains the budget and expenditures of the engineering department.
- Works closely with the General Manager and Department Heads to ensure station goals are met.
- Evaluates employee access and trains employees on station information systems or new equipment.
- Performs other assigned duties.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Communications or equivalent combination of education and work experience preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience with information technology systems, preferably in a broadcast environment. Strong PC/MS Office experience.
- Experience with fiber connectivity, production setups, A/V routing and patching, audio equipment, graphics systems and editing systems
- Experience in the evaluation, selection, installation, servicing and maintenance of broadcast industry equipment and information technology systems
- Experience with Avid systems, digital transmitters, microwave equipment and other broadcast related equipment.
- Valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record
- Fluent English; good communication, both verbal and written.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work long hours or be on call as needed to maintain clean station airplay.
WJMN and Nexstar Media Inc. are an equal opportunity employer.