To obtain an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at
. The deadline is 5 p.m. on Wednesday.
- October 16: The annual Finley Wildlife Club Young Pheasant Hunt, on private land surrounding Finley, ND Club, will release 400-500 pheasants into the area, and the hunt is free to hunters 18 and under and adults who bring a young hunter with them. Registration begins before dawn at the Finley American Legion, 600 Lincoln Ave. S. Participants will receive a map of the township showing where the pheasants have been released, and a creamed pheasant lunch will be served at noon in the Legion. Hunt is sponsored by Finley Motors and Heartland Chevy dealerships. Hunters must follow all North Dakota hunting regulations. Additional maps and information will be available upon registration.
- October 22: Youth Pheasant Hunt, Fordville, ND, area. The Dakota Prairie Wildlife Club and Ridge Runners Snowmobile Club, both based in Fordville, will release 300 roosters. Maps will be available from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Fordville Ambulance Building, 204 Route 12B N., and dinner will be served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Adults are welcome to hunt if accompanied by a young hunter. Attendance is free, but hunters must follow all North Dakota Game and Fish Department hunting regulations.
- October 22: Pheasants Forever Chapter 527 Fall Festival, 5:30 p.m., Lightning Bar, 160 Marshall St., Alvarado, Minn. Events on offer include walks, meat raffles and a skunk hunting contest from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. The use of artificial lights is not permitted. authorized in accordance with MNR regulations. Info/registration: Brian Nelson, (218) 230-4364.
- November 18-20: Hard Water Ice Fishing Expo, National Sports Center, 1700 105th Ave. NE, Blaine, Minnesota. Show times from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. on November 18, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on November 19 and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on November 20. nscsports.org/hardwaterexpo.
- December 2-4: St. Paul Ice Fishing and Snow Sports Show, St. Paul RiverCentre, 175 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul. Regular show hours 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. on December 2, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on December 3, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on December 4. Info: st.paulicefishingshow.com.
- December 9-11: Fargo Ice Fishing Show, Scheels Arena, 5225 31st Ave. S., Fargo. Show times are from noon to 7:30 p.m. on December 9, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on December 10 and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on December 11. Info: fargoicefishingshow.com.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is continuing its hunting, fishing, and outdoor learning webinar series this summer. The webinars, which are free, start at noon on Wednesday and pre-registration is required at mndnr.gov. The webinars are also recorded and available online. The next webinars are:
- October 19: “CWD and deer hunting.” Todd Froberg, MNR Big Game Program Coordinator, will highlight changes to Minnesota’s deer license areas, CWD testing requirements and other information.
- October 26: “Migration of Tundra Swans.” Mary Stefanski, Winona District Director for the US Fish and Wildlife Service, will share information about the migration and life history of the Tundra Swan.
- November 2: “Preserving your harvest.” MNR staff will review some proven techniques for preserving harvested fish and game.
- November 9: “Fat Bikes for Winter.” Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists’ Gunnar Carlson will share year-round biking opportunities.
- November 16: “The art of wildlife photography.” Gordon Dietzman, retired ranger, will share what it takes to become a better nature photographer.
- November 23: “Minnesota State Park Opportunities.” Sara Joy Berhow of DNR Parks and Trails will look at what’s happening in Minnesota’s state parks and how people can get active to take advantage of it.
- November 30: “Pike fishing.” Bethany Bethke, MNR Fisheries Research Scientist and Coordinator of the Northern Pike Technical Committee, will focus on research, fishing regulations, and tips and techniques for catching pike.